View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PSO v2 res and aspect ratio 
King

Post Re: PSO v2 res and aspect ratio
Thanks to the information you gave me in the lobby i found somehow "fresh air" and i was able to find an offset that changed the particles position, i believe it also changed some text and 3d display, it also increased the res on certain things by a small margin (50px or so), it may be usefull later on when repositioning may be required.
Now, i changed all the float values you recomended and just like before i have no room to maneuver, do you happen to have another value i can search or can you point me an offset interval where the "main stuff" is located.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
King

I'm sorry if i didn't say anything, but i found someone who seems experienced with dealing with resolution changes in games and he did make pso v2 avaiable in a complete new res.

Unlike PSOBB wich suffered stretching (and still does) PSO v2 has none of these problems, however pretty much everything has to be changed for the new res, this includes the maps, particles, text, interface, images,.....
I really doubt anyone will find all these little things,but so far so good.
Particles and and some text not only need to be told to use the new res, you also need to alter the center of the screen.
The interface and textures will probably remain at the same size, this means they will look smaller than before, at 1680x1050 i see no problems, but if you happen to try and run the game at 6400x4800, make sure to have a wall to display the game, otherwise seeing how much damage you do may become impossible.

Game performance seems to be lower than PSO BB at similar resolutions.

If i happen to make a patcher for all the resolutions (because ppl always have a res i don't have) then it might take a while to organize the hud (and a truckload of other things).

I managed to take a screenshot of psov2 in an area outside the 2nd boss area (wich was basically the only one that displayed correctly)
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/ ... 5uovfq.png

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Lord

tofuman wrote:
It'll most likely require EXE edits. As Lee done with the Widescreen PSOBB client. It's possible that the same is possible in PSO v2. To edit the exe it'll help if you understand basic ASM opcodes. I suspect there will be a MOV into a register of 640 and 480. If its like the PSOBB client it isn't just a matter of doing that though. You may have a stretched HUD which requires adjusting too.

I don't mean to stick my nose in business that I mostly dont have a clue about, but I do have experience with the PSOBB widescreen client on SCHTHACK, and I would like to put in what I've gathered here, which may or may not have already been said.

Lee was successful in creating PSOBB widescreen for SCHTHACK PSOBB server, and don't get me wrong, it looked great. But, suspecting the very name of 'widescreen' to be 'wide' would be a educated expectation for the game. And it is, indeed, 'wide'. The game, although it looks great, still becomes a tad distorted and walls/doors/objects in PSOBB become widened and distorted as well. This was also a issue with the text as well. It seemed that no matter what text I tried (and believe me I went back and forth between 15 different text fonts) that no matter what, the text would be distorted as well, and also that the cursor for which you know where your next letter is going to show up as well, has been moved about 5 spaces beyond is correct position, which makes it hard to type long messages.

This may seem a little bit obvious to state that with a 'widescreen' game res format that the game is going to be 'wide', and don't get me wrong I understand that. I also understand and admit that the game did look 100 times better than before.
Quote:
But the point I'm trying to make here is that I do not believe that there is a way that u can make a 'widescreen' option for ANY PSO version without it getting a little distorted because of the definition of 'widescreen'. FORGET THIS THEORY UNLESS PROVEN CORRECT PLEASE!

If any of that didn't make much sense, please tell me, and I'll respond with great haste.

EDIT: I noticed Kireeks picture and comment and saw that there was a way, so I'll cross out my theory, unless it wasn't widescreen which you will have to let me know.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
豆腐配達

I think Kireek wants to keep the 4:3 ratio so it shouldn't be an issue.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm
King

That's what i tought too, i imagined pso v2 in widescreen would produce the same effects as in pso bb, it doesn't, the problem here is centering and adjusting every tiny litle thing, believe me, there are plenty.
So yes my idea was 4:3, as large as i could, possibly even getting the 1600x1200 just like pso bb, but things changed.

As for widescreen, i will do 2 things
- show widescreen is there
- show that the interface isn't affected

Showing widescreen, i'll take 2 shots, i say this because it isn't clear in the screenshot i posted, this happens because i removed the char and you are unable to see if the char is fat or not.

As for the interface, it appears like this (for now)
Yes the map also looks like it's zoomed in. (probably it's using the new res, maybe it can be reverted)

Some more info just incase anyone finds it usefull.
While i managed to go into very high resolutions, i faced a few problems:
- taking screenshots beyond 4000 width was impossible with fraps, game crashes before taking the screenshot, i can't post screenshots because i can't take them.
- At res beyond 6000 width, bloom also crashes the game.
- Didn't test anything beetween 6000 and 32000 width, but beyond that and the game simply doesn't open

So yes, PSOv2 can run in widescreen without any sort of distortion, while that is a good thing it is also a problem.
Where is that quote from anyway?

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
豆腐配達

Its looking great. I did come across some values which I suspect to be the hud placement. IIRC the value was 550. which is what i suspect the mini map x position. y being 130 or possibly 350.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:33 pm
King

Found offset for particle "size"
The bigger the res, the smaller the particles look, found the values that control the size of them, this should keep things proporcional.

Now to find where do particles come from (from which pixel they come from), 320x240 may be the center of the screen, but not at 1680x1050

EDIT: nvm, it did make the particles bigger, but for some reason it has no effect on the high res version of the game

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Lord

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:
Found offset for particle "size"
The bigger the res, the smaller the particles look, found the values that control the size of them, this should keep things proporcional.

Now to find where do particles come from (from which pixel they come from), 320x240 may be the center of the screen, but not at 1680x1050

EDIT: nvm, it did make the particles bigger, but for some reason it has no effect on the high res version of the game

Is there any way that we can put PSOBB into full screen and not have it look like a sloppy mess?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 am
Profile WWW
King

but isn't there a widescreen version of bb?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Lord

not with eden serv version, only with schthack. as far as I can tell anyways.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next